Central City Illinois
Central City is a village in Marion County, Illinois, United States. The population was 1,172 at the 2010 census.
Geography
Central City is located at 38°32′53″N 89°07′43″W.
According to the 2010 census, Central City has a total area of 0.58 square miles (1.50 km2), all land.
​
Demographics
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,371 people, 550 households, and 371 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,365.5 people per square mile (912.7/km2). There were 626 housing units at an average density of 1,080.1 per square mile (416.7/km2).
26.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.49 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the village, the population was spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 9.7% from 18 to 24, 28.8% from 25 to 44, 19.0% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. The median income for a household in the village was $31,136, and the median income for a family was $36,518.








Central City School History
-
Central City School was first established in 1855.
-
The very first school was a one-room wooden structure located at Hardin St. & Breese St.
-
In 1875, the school was moved to a brick building that used to be the old German Methodist Church located on West Hardin St. between Marion St. & High St.
-
in 1896, our current school building was consturcted because the old building was too small.
-
From 1896-1900, Central City's population had doubled so Central City students had to attend 3 different locations: The current building, the old West Side brick building and Zimmerman Hall.
-
In 1916, two new rooms were added to the current school.
-
In 1936, the Old Gymnasium was added along with indoor toilets, shower rooms and the Old Stage in the gym.
-
In 1958, lots between the school and the south alley were purchased for a playground area.
-
In 1985, the New Gymnasium was built and the library and the 2nd grade classrooms were added.
-
In 1999, the 2nd floor of the school was condemned and closed off. Temporary buildings were used to house some students.
-
In 2001, the Jr. High wing was added.

